Welcome to the Ortho Critical Care Program at MGM Healthcare
There are two cohorts of patients who usually require ortho critical care.
- The most common reason for someone to be admitted to ICU/CCU with orthopaedic problems is usually trauma. Trauma is any bodily injury that is severe enough to be life threatening. Most trauma patients require elective orthopaedic surgery and monitoring under intensive/critical care units as they are vulnerable to a wide range of complications
- The other common reason for admission to ICU/CCU that require orthopaedic care and support includes patients with significant comorbidities undergoing elective or emergency orthopaedic procedures.
We have a highly trained medical expertise with vast experience is attending to increasingly complex and challenging cases. Our staff also understands the emotional needs of the care givers. Patients and their visitors will speak with a doctor regularly to ensure they are fully informed of the medical condition at hand. We have a multi-disciplinary team of anaesthesiologists, orthopaedic surgeons, critical care nurses, rehabilitation specialist, nutritionists, radiologists, physiotherapists and counsellors who work together in creating and personalized treatment plan for you.
We treat a wide range of ortho intensive care or critical care conditions like:
- Orthopaedic injuries from trauma like road accicents
- Joint arthroscopy – Knee, shoulder, elbow, ankle, hip, wrist
- Joint replacement surgeries
- Revision joint surgeries
- Bilateral knee replacement surgeries
- Hip replacement surgery
- Internal fixation of fractures
- External fixation of fractures
- Congenital deformity repair
- Corrective surgery
- Soft tissue repair and reconstruction
- Complex trauma surgery
- Bone fusion
- 128 slice CT machine, which provides low-dose, low-energy and low-noise imaging, gives up to 80% less dose while maintaining image quality
- 3 Tesla MRI, which is 50% faster and creates 40% less noise, with a wide bore for claustrophobic patients with immersive audio-visual experience
- Premium C-Arm machine, designed to enhance surgical efficiency while delivering the top-grade image quality, with automatic imaging profiles and dose control modes
- State-of-the-art arthroscopy system, engineered with wide- angle lens construction and optimal depth of field, thus reducing the need for refocusing during surgery
CASE STUDY 1
Male, 60 years of age, presented with multiple fractures of both legs and skin degloving of one leg after meeting with a motorbike accident and being dragged by a lorry for 100 metres, in Puducherry. Patient was first taken to a local hospital in Puducherry for first aid and then transferred via ambulance to MGM Healthcare. On arrival in the ER, patient was immediately attended to by a team of specialists from Orthopaedics, Plastic Surgery and Vascular Surgery. Patient was stabilised and wound debridement was done, following temporary fixation of the fractures. Multiple surgeries were performed to definitively fix the fractures and skin grafting was performed. Six months later, the patient is doing well and walking.
CASE STUDY 2
18-year-old male presented with dislocation of the knee joint and multiple ligament tears as a result of a road accident. He was taken to another hospital in the city for first aid and transferred via ambulance to MGM Healthcare after advised amputation. On arrival in the ER, he was attended to by a team of specialists from Orthopaedics, Plastic Surgery and Vascular Surgery. Wound debridement was performed followed by temporary fixation of the knee. Following this, the dislocated knee was fixed internally and reconstruction of the ligaments was performed using allografts. The patient has since been mobilized and begun physiotherapy.